Léon Stynen - Gedenkteken gesneuvelden Knokke 1914-1918
About the statue:
This monumental work with 4 guarding soldiers in the 4 wind directions, standing on a base made out of Belgian bluestone, was inaugurated on June 11th 1922 amid great public interest.
“En zien w’uw heldenlijven nimmer weer, Uw geest ligt vruchtbaar in ons harten neer.”
(Delanghe, “Het Knoksche Volk aan zijn Doden”)
Purchased in: 1922
About the Artist:
Stynen studied architecture at the Antwerp Academy. In 1925, he settled in Paris, where he got fascinated by the modern ideas of Le Corbusier.
He designed the Belgian pavilion at the world’s fair of 1939 in New York, the Casinos of Knokke, Ostend and Chaudfontaine and the Cultural Centre of Ukkel. The triangle of the BP building, Esso Hotel, academy and the Singel, built on the old Antwerp fortress, are regarded as his masterpiece.